Seventh step of >>>STEREO<<<: MULTI-MONO

Details of features as they're being worked on or discussed internally.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
forum
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Seventh step of >>>STEREO<<<: MULTI-MONO

Postby forum » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:27 pm

Everything now working again finally, both the old stuff and the new stereo stuff. Found and fixed a few older bugs too (eg poly portamento stopped working, I just discovered, two releases ago due to one line of code being moved).

However I had another feature I long envisioned for the stereo release that hadn't been coded yet. Now it has. This is called MULTI-MONO.

While some patches have specific support for stereo (or multichannel) input and output, most don't. Most take mono signals in and output mono signals out. Example: filter. So now, thanks to MULTI-MONO, if any capable module gets stereo (or other multichannel) input, it will magically split into multiple mono modules. And the Output is then magically stereo/multichannel as well.

Example: We have an Oscillator. Pan it left and right on an LFO to make a stereo signal. Feed that into a Filter. The filter magically splits into a left-channel and right-channel filter. Now you have the Voice:Result set to Filter:Output. Filter:Output is now magically stereo as well, so the voice is stereo... and that makes the patch as a whole stereo.

But this doesn't just work with audio signals. It also works with constants, control signals, and so on. So you can have one oscillator into one filter. And set Filter:Cutoff = MakeBus( 200, 2000 ). Just by giving the cutoff frequency a stereo input, you split it into two filters with different cutoffs.

Tonight I've got it working for per-voice modules. Tomorrow I'll just cookie-cutter that code to handle per-patch modules.

Then I want to write a nice stereo reverb package, and fix one odd bug that has nothing to do with stereo, then I'll make the next alpha release. I'll be surprised if that's not tomorrow.

Return to “Developer's Blog”