First step of >>>STEREO<<< working.

Details of features as they're being worked on or discussed internally.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
forum
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

First step of >>>STEREO<<< working.

Postby forum » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:40 pm

I got the part of Moselle that sends data to the operating system now working in stereo. Tomorrow I should have patch-wide effects working in stereo, and will probably spend a few days making "Packages" for stereo reverb, chorus, phasing etc. that utilize that. I'll make a second version of Delay that takes a pan setting for each tap, so you can spread out each tap individually. (I don't think any other modules will need stereo versions, as you'll just use two filters, or whatever, panned hard left and right.)

Then for the real power: making the individual voices stereo. You should be able to pan any part of the sound based on anything you want: envelopes, LFOs, velocity, which note you're playing (bass on left, treble on right), whatever. What I'm keen to try is voices with a lot of detuned oscillators that also are busy swinging around the stereo field crazily.

Finally, I have a dream that if you give, say, a filter a stereo input, that it will magically have a stereo output, and hide the fact that it's making two filters internally. But then I wondered, what if instead of stereo, you made it any number of channels? Then what if not only audio inputs, but any inputs worked like this? Then, you could make what looks like 1 oscillator actually be 8 by feeding it 8 frequencies as an N-channel input... This seems to be almost doable, and would give a huge amount of power to write short patches that did a lot of things... but I also wonder if it'd be confusing.

Return to “Developer's Blog”